Sunday 3 January 2010

"I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking."



Ooh, Isherwood. After reading Goodbye to Berlin I was left with so many different emotions, questions and wonderments (it rarely feels appropriate to use that word but it felt somewhat fitting here)as I'm sure was Isherwood's intention. One naturally second guesses the character of Christoper Isherwood's sexuality, the reason the novel became so prolific in queer theory but it left more of a mark on me than that. I think that is principally down to Isherwood's writing; a talent he has crafted perfectly. His writing is romantic without being overly sentimental and intelligent yet accessible. So, considering my ardour for this novel and subsequently Mr. Isherwood himself aswell as the admiration I have for Tom Ford who I am quite simply, in awe of, one can only imagine the sheer excitement I felt when I learned about Mr Ford's directorial debut: Isherwood's 1964 novel, A Single Man (AAHHH!) For a literature student with dreams of becoming a fashion journalist, this film felt like winning the lottery (a better analogy could not be thought up through the over zealous haze.) A Single Man recounts a day in the life of George, an English professor living and working in Los Angeles who is coming to terms with the death of his lover, Jim. Supposedly Isherwood's favourite of his works, I have no doubt that Ford will do anything other than exceed expectations held by those in the literary, film and fashion industries; the film has already been nominated for three Golden Globes. As far as I can tell the film is everything you would expect from such a talent as Ford and actors Colin Firth, Julianne Moore (who I happen to adore) and Matthew Goode who starred in the film adaption of another sexually ambiguous text, Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. Due for release in the UK on 12th February 2010, which also happens to be my 21st birthday, I have little doubt that this film was made solely for my gratification. See le trailer at: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi597492761/



xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment